Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oh The Silly Traditions ..


Oh the silly traditions we do in each of our families. I am sure many of you can name a few. In my family one of my favorites is the "butter on the nose when it is your birthday" tradition.
We celebrated Rians 19th Birthday last Sunday as a family. This will be his last birthday at home for a while since he leaves in a few weeks to the Philippines....for 2 years. So here is HIS "Butter on the nose" photo.
The tradition is said to have started with my Great Grandpa Harrington. It was passed down to my Tutu (grandma) and then down to my mother and then down to me. It, of course, brings the birthday boy or girl luck thru out the whole year. The birthday person is usually caught off guard by a sneeky family member who smears butter on their nose....All the while the recipient is praying that it has not gone up his or hers nose. It is important to note that the this can ONLY be done one time.

4 comments:

Beth Swann said...

Very fun tradition! Family traditions are great!

Susan Catmull said...

I've not heard of this one. Very funny.

akglaciergirl said...

Rian sure looks excited to have that glob of butter on his nose--couldn't it have been whip cream instead?lolol I love family traditions, my family has some silly ones too. One of our traditions that has been handed down from my Great Grandma Cherrie (yes I'm named after her) is that on New Years Day we have to eat Black-Eyed Peas (not an easy find when you are living in Juneau Alaska!)--this gives us good luck for the year, we can't wash clothes that day or we will wash all of our money away and we have to eat some sort of greens--preferably Collards or Turnips--but since I can't stomach those, my salad has to do--and by eating greens it brings us lots of money for the coming year (so far this one hasn't worked, but we keep trying each year! lolol). I'm glad you shared one of your traditions.

Monica said...

Happy Birthday Rian! We are so excited for him! He'll have to continue that fun tradition on his mission and send pictures back home. Love the pic, Britt--- you are so photogenic girl!