Monday, December 29, 2008

How one simple moment became a wonderful Christmas memory.

Our Christmas was a different one this year. Brock was gone til the 26th and so we had decided to post pone our family "Christmas". Then to add another thing into the mix.....my brother Jared called a few days before Christmas with a plea of help from his friend. And that is where the wonderful memory began.......

Jared's kind hearted friend Jake has for years been going down around Christmas time to Mexico to deliver food, clothing and hygiene kits to those in need. This time they had two 35 foot trailers filled to the top with donated items from people. He needed translators and helping hands to deliver and hand out the items. Our family decided to post pone Christmas even longer so that we could go down on the 26th to help. There were a total of 20 of us who traveled for 4 hours down to Mexico. We went to places near Rocky Point, Mexico. We found small pockets of families living in Cardboard homes with out electricity or running water. Children that were wearing no shoes or jackets in the 40 degree weather. A young mother , 16 years old, that had a new born child .....she had no blanket or warm clothes for the child. Her roof was palm leaves and some wood. One of the ladies with us taught her how to swaddle her baby in a blanket to keep her warm. We saw a man that did not wish for anything for himself but was so grateful to have just clothes for his down syndrome son. We went into these homes and saw how they lived. We visited areas that have never seen help or visitors.

As Cody, my son, said "I just wanted to give the shirts off my back and the shoes I had on!"

The Scripture in Matthew came to mind several times "In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40

This moment truly became a wonderful Christmas Memory.

6 comments:

akglaciergirl said...

What a great experience for your family to have especially at this time of the year. I'm sure it will have a far-reaching impact on them for years to come. Please share more photos!

ecuakim said...

Oh Britt. I've been reading my friends' blogs all afternoon while Clark's been napping, including all their lists of stuff they got for Christmas, and I have to admit, I started to feel a little twinge of jealousy. We had a wonderful Christmas, but not a mountain of gifts. Then I read your blog. THANK YOU! Thank you for giving me a little bit of perspective and thank you for being the type of family that always serves others. You guys are such a wonderful example and we look up to you. Each of you is an inspiration to our little family. I am so impressed with your kids and of course, with you and Brock. We love you all so much and thank you for being the kind of people that the Savior would want us all to be. Have a Happy New Year!

Monica said...

What an incredible experience! I have been wanting to do something like this with my children! Wish we would have know we would have come with you! Your children will always remember this! You guys are amazing! We are so blessed to have you for friends! Merry Christmas!!! I miss you friend-let's get together! I'm so glad that Rian got his Christmas package from us! He wrote us a letter!

Trish said...

Wow! What an amazing experience. We want to come! If you do this again and need a few more hands, then we want to come!

NelsonPeople said...

What an awesome opportunity. I get so caught up in my own reality that it is nice to be reminded of all the blessings I have. Thank you!

Kathy C said...

I love your family, Britt! You guys are such an amazing example of service. What a great experience to share with your kids, too. I would love to do something like this!